Monday 8 May 2017

Let's Vote!


I have always felt it important to vote. I was taught that Emily Davison threw herself under the king's horse at the Derby so I could vote, this history lesson made a lasting impression on me. I have been a regular voter for the past thirty years. Last June I struggled through flash floods and tube chaos, on my way home from work, to put my X in the Remain box. 

Non-partisan is quite a good stance, democracy is based on a secret ballot, and people can and will change their minds, for all sorts of reasons. I think it's important to vote, whether it's a negative vote against something you don't want, a positive one for something you do, or just to create a strong opposition to the prevailing powers. Your vote is your voice, it shows you're paying attention and you care about the forces that shape our lives. 

I have been working on these 'Voting Cards' as my small way to encourage more people to exercise their franchise. For more information on voting please go to https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote


No comments:

Post a Comment