Tuesday 1 August 2017

London Interrupted Part Two

I've been busy lately and felt time slipping by on my London Interrupted project. So, with my daughter off on a camping trip, I decided to explore several places around Notting Hill I'd been meaning to see for quite a while.


Kensal Green Cemetery is one of the 'Magnificent Seven' cemeteries of London. It was a very pleasant summer's day, the morning mum and I wandered around this impressive green space, with its grand tombs and humble crosses. Like a lot of London the place is quite full up, this time with the dead rather than the living.



In the middle of the cemetery is a modern gazebo-like tomb for a philanthropist millionaire, erected in 2014. We sat here and ate sandwiches.



At every turn I was reminded of my favourite Dr Who episode 'Blink' starring the lovely Carey Mulligan. The cemetery boasts a creepy selection of 'Weeping Angels'. Here are just a few of them.

 

Being a Monday my intended visit to the Museum of Brands was not possible. As an alternative I decided to venture into The Electric Cinema. The cinema is both retro and decadent. There are red velvet king-size beds closest to the screen and armchairs, with accompanying cocktail tables and desk lamps, in the centre. At the back was a lounge area and a bar. I think it would be quite something to experience watching a film in this environment.


Portabello Road Market is open seven days a week. I think it's busier at the weekends, on this particular day we got some good fruit and veg stalls, clothes and brick-a-brack. There are also some interesting shops with an Eastern or vintage flavour to them. We enjoyed Guinness and chips in an attractive cafe-bar before walking to Notting Hill and boarding a modern double decker bus back to Shepherd's Bush.



No comments:

Post a Comment